GoToMyPC Users Told to Change Passwords Following Cyberattack
All GoToMyPC users are being instructed to update their account passwords following a cyberattack on the service.
According to the incident report on GoToMyPC.com, attackers were re-using login credentials leaked from other website hacks to gain entry into GoToMyPC accounts. No sensitive customer data was accessed in the attack and no other Citrix product appears to be affected.
As a result of the attack, Citrix issued a mandatory password reset to protect GoToMyPC user accounts and encourages users to enable 2-step verification as an extra layer of security.
How to Reset Your GoToMyPC Password
Users can reset their GoToMyPC password by clicking the ‘Problem logging in?’ link on the GoToMyPC login page. Citrix recommends that users set strong passwords for their accounts.
- Do not use any words found in the dictory
- Use more than 8 characters in your password
- Use a combination of randomly capitalized letters, punctuation and/or symbols
- Substitute numbers for letters when possible (“0” for “o”, “4” for a”, etc)
- NEVER re-use your password for another website
How to Setup 2-Step Verification for Your GoToMyPC Account
Users are strongly advised to enable 2-step verification on their account for added security. The instructions to setup 2-step verification can be found on the Citrix Online Support website:
- Log into your GoToMyPC account.
- Choose My Account from the left navigation and select Settings.
- Under the Security Settings section, enable the “2-Step Verification” checkbox.
- Select your country from the drop-down menu and enter your mobile phone number.
- Choose your method of verification and click Verify.
- The unique code is sent as:
- a text message to your mobile phone.
- a call is made to your mobile phone and an audio recording of the code is played to you on call.
- Back on the Verify Your Phone page, enter the code and click Verifyto enable 2-step verification.