Bitdefender’s Ransomware Vaccine Protects Against CTB-Locker, Locky & TeslaCrypt
Worried about your computer getting infected with ransomware? You’re not alone!
Ransomware is a serious threat that has been targeting both consumers and businesses alike, and it’s highly unlikely that will change anytime soon.
In the past, researchers have gotten lucky and managed to find ways to decrypt data encrypted by some ransomware like TorrentLocker; However, recent builds have been tougher to crack.
All hope is not lost, though!
Enter Bitdefender’s ransomware vaccine..
Bitdefender Labs recently released a nifty tool that can “protect computers against known and possible future versions of CTB-Locker, Locky and TeslaCrypt” ransomware. Users can download the so-called ransomware vaccine from the Bitdefender website.
Of course, users should not rely solely on this tool to keep their machines safe. In addition to using the ransomware vaccine, users are strongly advised to:
- Avoid downloading any suspicious files attached to emails and only download files from reputable websites.
- Always keep their operating system and installed 3rd-party software current with the latest updates and security patches.
- Always run a comprehensive antivirus/antimalware solution that offers real-time scanning.
- Utilize a comprehensive email filter to reduce the chances of a malicious email reaching your inbox.
- Consider using NoScript or an ad-blocker to reduce falling victim to malvertising.
[via Bitdefender Labs]