The type of IT service plan you opt for depends on the specific needs of your business.
Many businesses rely on their IT systems to conduct day-to-day operations, while other organizations don’t. Typically, companies that rely on technology to operate would benefit from going the managed services route, whereas an organization that is less technology-dependent can survive on the break/fix model.
The question is how do you choose what IT service model is right for your business?
Managed Services vs. Break/Fix IT Services
The break/fix IT service model works exactly how it sounds – something within your IT infrastructure breaks and you contact your IT service provider to have the issue resolved.
How Break/Fix IT Services Works
- You have an IT problem, i.e. no internet connectivity, computer gets a virus or BSoD, etc.
- You report the issue to your IT service provider.
- A technician is dispatched onsite to your office or location to work on the issue, or they will work on the problem remotely.
- The technician diagnoses the cause of the problem.
- The problem is resolved and you are billed for the work performed.
Will the Break/Fix Model work in your business?
The break/fix IT service model is acceptable if:
- Your organization rarely faces IT / technology issues.
- Your budget can handle unpredictable IT costs typically associated with unexpected IT problems.
- You have a dedicated IT department in-house or you have a tech-savvy person on staff that can handle majority of the IT problems you do have.
With Managed Services, your IT network is actively monitored 24/7 and issues are addressed before they become a headache. Managed Services are proactive or preventative IT maintenance & support.
How Managed Services Works
- An IT problem occurs.
- Your IT service provider is notified by the monitoring software before or the moment an issue arises.
- A technician promptly reviews the alert & begins to diagnose the issue – without you having to contact them.
- The issue will either be resolved remotely (if possible) or you will be notified of an onsite visit.
Should you go for Managed Services?
Managed Services is ideal for companies that want:
- Predictable, fixed monthly fees for IT service & support.
- Easy access to IT professionals that can provide help or answer tech questions (via HelpDesk Support).
- To maintain a low risk for down-time that could negatively impact their business.
- To outsource their IT department so they can focus on their business.
(Or feel free to send us a few questions if you’re not.)